Monday, May 16, 2011

For the visually challenged

No, I do not mean in a physical way. I mean in the way we consume information. Most people are visual: they like to see a graphical representation of the information. I am one of those rare people who prefer text. Not only do I prefer text, I find it difficult to try to visualize how to represent information in a graphical format. Therefore, when I am asked to provide a visual, it is often a form that incorporates text. My latest attempt was a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) diagram.


I used a nifty little program called Gliffy, suggested in the week's assignment notes. It's an online flowcharting and diagramming tool. It's very robust, offering numerous types of diagrams and options. It was easy to use and very flexible. You get a free 30-day premium account for signing up. At the end of 30 days, your account reverts to a basic account or you pay to continue the premium account. Pricing is tiered and starts at just $5 monthly for an individual account. The premium account would probably be worthwhile if you do a lot of diagramming but don't need the functionality of say a Visio or other design tool. I liked the fact that it provided options for text/graphical charts that appeal to those of us who still like to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment