Monday, May 9, 2011

Non-Visual in a Visual World

I am something of an anomaly; visual aids hold little interest for me. Unlike most people, I learn mostly from reading and applying what I've read in a kinesthetic way. In other words, I read the directions and put things together, or sometimes I just dive in and start assembling things. Sometimes I might look at a diagram, but rarely is that my first choice.

More frequently in my studies, I'm being asked to make graphical representations of concepts and processes. This is a challenge for me. Concept maps in particular are somewhat confusing. I'm a rather methodical and orderly person in my thought processes. I deal best with outlines, lists, and tables. Concept maps, to me, are anything but orderly.

What happens when we are asked to think outside our comfort zone? Can we competently adapt to new ways of doing things? Or do we merely stumble through it just to complete the exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment